The Senior Director Retail Solutions Accounting is a critical leadership position that oversees the execution of all major accounting functions for Cox Automotive Retail Solutions and owns the completeness and accuracy of the financials at the overall Cox Automotive level. This position reports directly to the Associate Vice President Enterprise Accounting and serves as a partner by engaging with business leaders within the Company to anticipate business issues and drive strong decision making through sound financial management and application of accounting expertise.
The Senior Director is responsible for the accounting operations for Cox Automotive Retail Solutions which encompasses financial transaction processing, financial close, and compliance with accounting policy, procedures and our internal controls. The Senior Director is specifically responsible for leading the Retail Solutions Accounting team within the Accounting Center of Excellence. This involves effectively leading an organization of 10 team members to drive completeness of financial statements with a Cox Automotive lens. The Senior Director ensures the accurate and timely preparation of financial data in the ERP general ledger in accordance with the US GAAP, and serves as the primary point for process certification of Retail Solutions Accounting results. This position will collaborate extensively with Business Leaders across the organization to manage the Employee Timekeeping process, Lease Accounting, Rent, Prepaids, Payroll & Benefits, etc.,
A focus on continuous improvement including the enhancement of accounting processes, policies, and procedures is essential to success in this position. This includes partnering across the broader finance organization and with key business stakeholders to optimize upstream and downstream processes and integrate improvements into operating plans and goals. Ongoing organizational and individual development within the accounting organization is another critical success factor including the ability to transform and adapt the accounting organization to the Company's shifting business model and strategies.
* Lead the centralized Retail Solutions accounting organization with a staff of two Senior Managers, two Managers and over 10 total employees for all General Ledger functions across Cox Automotive Corporate.
* Provide oversight of day-to-day management of Retail Solutions Financial Accounting team.
* Ensure the accuracy, timeliness, and consistency of the accounting for Cox Automotive financial statements for both internal and external reporting in accordance with accounting policies, GAAP and other statutory or government reporting guidelines.
* Set clearly defined performance objectives for assigned Retail Solutions accounting team, ensuring appropriate alignment with performance and quality standards defined in relevant service level agreements.
* Oversee the operational excellence and quality of the Retail Solutions Accounting functions which includes general accounting (JE prep and approval, reconciliations, month end close processes, consolidations, etc.,).
* Monitor performance against agreed objectives of assigned staff, taking corrective action to improve individual performance as necessary.
* Provide technical guidance and support to team members as required.
* Create and sustain a culture of continuous improvement to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of accounting operations.
* Own the analysis and management of key performance indicators and service level agreements for Retail Solutions Accounting activities and proactively take actions to improve performance as appropriate.
* Demonstrate a commitment to outstanding customer service to Cox Automotive business operations.
* Provide timely response and adjustments to audit requests on an on-going basis.
Internal Controls and Compliance:
* Monitor proper accounting and financial reporting internal controls as well as key operational management controls. Follow Cox Automotive accounting policies.
* Provide GAAP guidance and support to the organization to ensure compliance.
* Monitor and assess current trends and emerging developments within the field and practice of accounting to ensure the Company's compliance and preparedness.
* Support external audit efforts between the accounting team and the external audit firm for preparation of the external audit and responds to audit requests in a timely manner.
Accounting Leadership & Organizational Development:
* Build and enhance a strong team that provides proactive support and results-driven execution of responsibilities to meet the current and future needs of the business.
* Ensure Retail Solutions Accounting team members maintain appropriate levels of technical knowledge and expertise.
* Remain abreast of best practices and trends relevant to accounting and related technologies.
* Identify, lead, and participate in projects to improve the overall effectiveness and efficiency of the Company's accounting function and processes.
* Develop and maintain effective working relationships with senior staff at operating locations, and key Retail Solutions customers, ensuring they understand and value the services provided by the Retail Solutions Accounting team and respond to feedback regarding opportunities for improvement.
* Liaise with key stakeholders across Cox Automotive to ensure appropriate service levels are being provided.
* Manage and coach employees to increase engagement and strengthen professional development. Continually strives to develop talent within the accounting organization to promote individual development and career growth.
* Responsible for preparing and managing to budget objectives.
* Perform related duties & responsibilities as assigned/requested.
* Bachelor's degree in Business Administration (Accounting required)
* MBA and/or CPA preferred
* Proven track record in successfully leading a large business unit or department.
* Proven ability to lead a major change effort.
* Proven track record to deliver high levels of customer service.
* Excellent communication and leadership skills are mandatory.
* Oracle financial experience required.
* Experience in leading an accounting organization for a minimum of 5 years preferred
* Experience in an SSC environment preferred
* Strong knowledge of GAAP, internal controls, financial reporting with minimum 10 years of background in Finance/Accounting.
* Ability to analyze information and identify trends
* Strong knowledge of accounting operations.
* Ability to effectively lead change.
* Proven skills in process improvement and/or gaining efficiencies through technology.
* High customer service orientation.
* Solid computer skills.
* Some travel required.