The Assistant Controller reports to the Controller and directs the day-to-day accounting activities including the management of staff and projects. This position is responsible for the monthly closings, account reconciliations, financial statements, and maintenance of the internal control system.
- A Bachelor s Degree in accounting or related field is required.
- Candidate must have a minimum of 5 years experience in accounting/financial management
- Direct work experience with not-for-profit and higher education accounting principles preferred.
- CPA or CMA is preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: Duties may vary and other duties may be assigned.
- Maintain the general ledgers and ensure that the proper processes are followed.
- Manage and direct staff in their assigned functions and review the work completed by that staff.
- Manage and/or complete projects as assigned by the Controller and/or the Chief Financial Officer.
- Stay abreast of current accounting practices (GAAP) and assist the controller in ensuring compliance with current and pending pronouncements.
- Manage the monthly closings and ensure that all entries are posted appropriately. Manage the account reconciliation process and propose adjustments as needed.
- Assist the controller with the production of the monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, supporting documents and filing requirements.
- Direct and complete the verification of physical counts of retail inventories, fixed assets, works of art and antiques inventories.
- Work with colleagues to ensure proper entry feeds, cut-offs and accounting support from areas including but not limited to payroll, purchasing, and payables.
- Assist with the collection and analysis of information and the preparation of the annual tax filings including IRS reports, property taxes, business taxes and licenses and other statutory filings.